Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"Opening Night, TBDLoft"


20"x16"
Oil on 3/4" Cradled Board
click here to ask about purchase information

This painting ended up being a surprise to me. Not long after I got it roughed in, I saw that I had a choice as to whether or not to keep the simplicity of the shapes or to work it up into a piece with alot more modeling of form and information in it. I had to stop and sleep on it--to decide to let it be simplified was like choosing a new road to go down and I had to think about whether I really wanted to do that. I have spent alot of time enjoying trying to get alot of that modeling in, trying to get things "right" in the past year's paintings. I've had in my mind certain criteria of what it would mean for me to be a good painter and this didn't necessarily fit! To let this painting be different was a challenge not just to my abilities, but to my ego. I remember reading somewhere--must've been someone else's blog--that in doing the daily painting, a person travels through many styles. Part of me wants to keep growing and changing and another part of me would love to just find a place to land. . .However, this was really invigorating and I think I'm going to try to follow whatever is trying to take form here.

3 comments:

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

This is a lovely piece Vicki! Go with your instincts...I think you made the right choice here.

Jeffrey

Lorrie Drennan said...

Hi Vicki!

I was cruising through the daily painter site and was highlighting the ones I liked and trying to see how many of the artists I could identify by style alone. Imagine my surprise when I pulled up your name on this little gem!

I think it is great! And like Carol said the joy of daily painting is that you are not committed in a big way to any one piece so it frees you up to try something different.

I like it a lot and think it definitely calls for more exploration.

Lorrie

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I like what you're doing here and the way you write about itjxbot.