Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Mother and Child" (sold)


8"x8"
Oil on Board
$175 includes domestic s/h
click here to ask about purchasing this painting through Paypal or go to www.dailypainters.com

For this first painting I've done in nearly two weeks, (!) I decided to go back to a subject I love and try to bypass the intimidation of a blank "canvas"! We've been in southern California for the past 9 days or so and have seen lots more artwork and galleries than I have for a long time. Lots of work inspired me and makes me want to try some new approaches to my painting. Alot of the paintings I was attracted to were very loose, so in this painting--and actually in others I've been doing, too--there's the attempt to not try to put in all the details, keep it soft, loose some edges. I'd appreciate any feedback on this! Truthfully, I really LIKE definition, I LIKE hard edges, I LIKE detail, I LIKE making it specific. Seems like "being loose" iswhat is "in favor". Really, though, it has to be a balance. There's a place for both. No matter, I most enjoy painting when the process flows. I think if there's the feeling of that flow, it shows whether the painting ends up looser or tighter. At any rate, it feels so good to paint again! I have started yet another painting of this image working with different tones which I hope to finish tomorrow.

2 comments:

Connie Chadwell said...

I always love your art, Vicki, and this looser approach is no different; your knowledge of the figure makes it work. From the brushstrokes, to the beautiful hands, to the shadow on the dish - it's a lovely, emotional piece.

Dana Cooper said...

I love this painting Vicki, it shows a great deal of sensitivity! Glad you are back to painting!!
I like all those things you mentioned in your post too but only when they still look fresh. And to me, that translates to having the drawing skills to make the choice rather than laboring over something that is not right at the first pass. Spontaneity is what appeals to me, loose or tight. Ultimately I think the artist's voice needs to come through find their own flow.
I could go on ad naseum on this but I will spare you.
I would love to read more about where you were and who's work inspired you.