Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"The Last Petals"


10"x8"
Oil on Board
click here to ask me about purchase info

A friend brought us these beautiful tulips--ruffly and interesting colors. I was getting ready to take them to the compost when I fell in love with the shapes and undulations of the withering petals and decided to paint them. I used a board primed with black gesso which was quite different. I really like how the black background makes me think about the edges I'm working with, but sometimes find it a challenge to get the intensity of color I want. I did have fun with the positive and negative shapes!

2 comments:

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

I always love your colors but I find the shapes very compelling in this one. Good work!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Me too. I love the shapes and the colors. The eye moves around and around. Such a pretty 'dead' flower. Is that what Mick Jagger meant?