Thursday, September 3, 2009

"At the Ore House #3" (sold)


6"x8"
Oil 0n Board
$125 plus $10 domestic s/h


After yesterday's painting, I wanted to try a couple of different things: opening up the composition, trying to do a better job with the values and try using a simplified color scheme. I looked at my photo and saw that I'd cropped it to fit a square format and realized I like this rectangular composition better. Then I worked really hard getting the values down and liked how it looked (the 2nd photo). Then I started completing the shapes, adding lights and darks. Frankly, I wish I could figure out how to keep more of the composition I started with! I like the strength and values of the just-blocked-in painting. Seems like the more detail I added, the more "watered down" the whole thing became. I used pthalo blue, white and cad yellow, cad yellow deep, cad orange and the cad reds. I enjoyed exploring!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Fun to read about your process, Vicki! Great paintings & blog entries. Happy painting!

Thanks for dropping by my blog & leaving a comment ... it's always great to hear from fellow daily painters!

Have a great weekend! :-) Elizabeth