Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"The Old Flesher Farm" (sold)


6"x6"
Oil on Board
$100 US plus $10 domestic s/h

I posted this painting in January, but had to spend my art time with illustration work today, yet still wanted to offer something in keeping with the Daily Painter's Gallery for August: A Tribute to a Beautiful Earth, Celebrating and Conserving Our Planet. (To see other artist's comments and artwork that relate to this theme, click on the Daily Painters. com link.)

When the idea of conserving our planet comes up, no matter the immensity that word "planet" contains, my first frame of reference is to how it was when I was growing up. What comes to mind for me is living out in the country on a farm, clean air, good and plentiful water and a peacefulness that was just a part of being in a rural area. It is sad to see that all changing in the very place I naively thought it never would. Farmers, native peoples, fishermen and biologists have been struggling the past number of years against each other because of lack of water. A whole way of life is changing as corporations drive the small farmers out of business because they can't afford to compete anymore. My hope is that part of the celebrating and conserving our planet will be in the realization of the importance of sustainable local economics where people have jobs to do that are integral to their communities.

3 comments:

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Still one of my favourites Vicki!

Jeffrey

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Still one of my favourites Vicki!

Jeffrey

Olha Pryymak said...

oh, this one is very good!