Monday, January 26, 2009

"Joanna" #30 in a series of 50 faces


images: 6"x6"
graphite on bristol board
NFS

This drawing is a celebration of my mother who passed away19 years ago today. I found the photo I'm basing this drawing on after she died and it has remained one of my favorites of her. I believe it was taken sometime in the 70's, looking at her French twist and the wide collar of her blouse. I've really enjoyed doing this drawing, meditating on my mother in ways that I just don't do very often. I think that's one of the perks of doing this series--really "spending time" with the person I am portraying, getting past the quick "hi".

1 comment:

Linny D. Vine said...

Hi vicki,

My first impression when I looked at this one was that it was your mother and then I went on to read that indeed it was....amazing what you are able to put into your sketches!!!