Monday, January 19, 2009

"Sondra" #27 in a series of 50 faces (sold)



6"x6"
graphite on bristol board
click here to ask about purchasing this drawing

This lady is a dynamo, one of those people who the description "a force of nature" is made for! She is an artist in many different mediums--collage, handmade books, writing, drawing. Definitely one of the more creative people I've met. I took this photo of her the other day in a drawing class I'm teaching. I really appreciate her patience with me taking all those pictures--I'm sure most people don't like it all that much! Anyway, I decided to work with the one in which she's moving, because that seems to fit her best in my eyes.

One of the things I love about doing these faces is the time it gives me to see past the surface. It's like a meditation on the person and sometimes it feels like I almost get a sense of their inner being, their true selves, maybe the child they are inside. Not sure how to put it, but it's a gift!

No comments: