Monday, March 9, 2009

"Companions" (sold)


12"x12"
Oil on Board

This is my 300th post!! Where does the time go?!

I decided to try a larger version of the painting, "Reminiscing" that I did last week and this is the result. I am pretty happy with it. I really don't know if the photo will do it justice--I'm having a tough time with my photos these days for some reason!

I really like this subject! I like the composition, the variety of values and the content, too. I've been re-reading Anne Morrow Lindberg's "Gifts from the Sea" and the chapter I read this morning really made me think about this painting. She talks of how when we meet the person we decide to share our lives with, it's so exclusive--that commitment to "only you"--and then how it changes over the years as we grow and our lives get fuller and larger. It's not feasible to have it just be "you and me" anymore! She says, though, that instead we have "only-you-moments" interspersed throughout. To me, the couple in this painting seem to be having one of those experiences.

2 comments:

Lindy Gaskill said...

This is a very sweet painting. There is a sentimental feeling I get when I look at it. Love the perspective of looking down on them too.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

This is a most incredible painting. That means, of course, that it's amazing. Slammin' design. WOW! I have been absent here for too long. Your work resonates with me, Vicki.