Sunday, March 1, 2009

"Morning Coffee on a Winter Day"


11"x14"
Oil on Board
for purchase information contact River Bend Fine Art Gallery
This is the painting I started the other day with the acrylics. The acrylics ended up being the base for the painting--I just couldn't stick with them to finish it out. I think it's because I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to achieve and wasn't able to get the paints to do what I wanted! I may be wrong, but I think if I paint with acrylics, it needs to be more about working with the paint as opposed to trying to make it act like oils! I see work, though, that is acrylic and very painterly (Jeffrey Boron's comes to mind--see his link on the list on the right) and yet the paintings could well be oils. Also, I'm noticing this photo has a bit of a pink cast to parts of it--I am trying out a new photo-editing program, so will have to see if I can get it right!

2 comments:

Don Gray said...

Vicki, this is so well done. A complex subject done with such simplicity and painterly feel. You've established so much character --I feel like I know these guys!

You handle oils so beautifully, but if you want to work with acrylics, you might try the new Golden Open colors, which stay wet much longer on the panel and palette. Atelier makes a similar paint that I've heard good things about, though I haven't tried it. With the Open I found that it was important to use the mediums made for it, for best handling.

Leslie Saeta said...

Wow. I am so glad I found your blog. I think waht stands out the most to me with your paintings is your incredible color palette. I absolutely love this painting and think you are so talented. Thanks for sharing.