Monday, January 25, 2010

"Mo"


18"x11"
graphite on bristol board
sold

Let me introduce you to my good friend, Mo! She is going to model for a figure drawing class I am teaching next month and she was kind enough to sit for me today. I am inspired by watching the documentary about Alice Neel (I think I mentioned that awhile back). Her portraits show the spirit of the sitter, truly amazing. There really is a magical quality about portraiture. I worked about 40 minutes on this drawing, but for much of it I was thinking that I just wasn't going to get a likeness. And then it happens--suddenly something comes together and the person shows themselves on the paper. Truly a gift. Not an "Alice Neel", but I can keep on working!

1 comment:

Leslie Saeta said...

Lovely my dear! Will it end up being a painting?